Off Piste Skiing Equipment List
Here is a summary of the items of equipment you will need for off-piste skiing on one of our Guided courses. Please check you have each item and refer to the bottom of the page for details on hiring equipment.
- Skis, Poles, Ski boots (Touring or downhill boots / bindings)
- Warm Ski clothing including thermal top and bottoms, mid layer fleece and wind/water proof jacket and trousers. Plus one spare warm top layer.
- Small Rucksack
- Hat or balaclava, buff or neck gaiter also useful.
- Helmet recommended
- Ski goggles and sunglasses
- Sun Cream
- Gloves thin pair & thick pair
- Avalanche Transceiver
- Snacks and drink
- Strap to tie skis and poles together for walking sections
- Mobile phone with the Chamonix PGHM (local mountain rescue) number programmed in: +33 (0)4 50 53 16 89
- Copy of your insurance documents
- Lift pass
- Cash for refreshments
The Guide will also carry the following items:
- Navigation Equipment (map, compass, gps)
- Spare gloves
- Group Shelter
- First aid kit
Please follow our Sanglards Ski Hire link below to access your 15% discount (more in quieter periods), or tell them in the shop you have a booking with High Mountain Guides for the same discount. Shops are in Chamonix, Argentiere - Les Grands Montets and Vallorcine.
Avalanche safety & mountaineering equipment hire can be arranged in advance with us. Please let us know which items you will require from the list above.
There are few skiers whose pulse does not quicken slightly when they hear the word, Chamonix! The high resorts with massive vertical descents, often glaciated, are renowned throughout the ski world as off-piste classics. Less well known are the easily accessible ski areas in the... more>
Our guided ski days bring together like minded skiers within the Chamonix Valley for fun off piste skiing and great ski journeys away from the pistes & lifts. They are designed to give intermediate off-piste skiers the chance to explore interesting backcountry terrain with a... more>