High Mountain Guides / Useful Information / Frequently Asked Questions / Arranging Your Mountaineering Or Ski Insurance Policy

Arranging Your Mountaineering Or Ski Insurance Policy

You need to be logged in to get access to the forums. You can do so here

Author Message

Rob Jarvis

Thursday 27 August 2015 9:06:44 am

Information & FAQ'S about arranging an insurance policy for your mountain activities whilst undertaking one of our courses / private guiding.

Please read through each FAQ below and get back to us if anything is still not clear or you have found another provider of insurance that we can add to our list.

Do I need Insurance for my course?

Yes. As per our booking conditions, it is essential for you to arrange your own insurance to cover at least the mountain elements of your trip. Exact policy details vary widely but as a minimum you should ensure that emergency search & rescue insurance; emergency medical expenses and repatriation are all covered as well as trip cancellation insurance. Insuring for loss of theft of your personal items is also recommended. This policy needs to be relevant to both the nature of the activity e.g. climbing, mountaineering, off piste skiing, ski mountaineering as well as the Geographical area e.g. many of our courses climb peaks over 4000m in the European Alps.

Is rescue / medical / cancellation insurance included as part of my course fee?

No. You need to arrange your own personal insurance policy as a separate package that covers you for the relevant activities undertaken & areas visited.

Where can I arrange my insurance?

Good question! UK residents are well served in this department with varied & comprehensive policies offered by the British Mountaineering Council (BMC). Choose your activity, choose your area, specify your dates and you will get a quote on their easy to use dedicated website. Another option is to take an annual policy if you have several trips planned. Non UK residents will have to find another provider offering policies suitable for their own needs but with coverage for the relevant activities & areas. Here are a few options to include in your search but please note that these are not personal recommendations as each individuals circumstances vary and they will want to create their own insurance solution. Also please note that some of the policies may offer maximum pay outs e.g. for search & rescue, below the actual cost of a large / complicated rescue, thus still leaving a large bill to pay.

- Global Rescue Insurance

- American Alpine Club

- Assursport.fr

- Snowcard (only for UK residents)

- Austrian Alpine Club Membership (UK section)

- Dogtag

There are clearly many other providers of adventure travel insurance. Please just check the policy coverage is accurate and sufficient for the details of your trip. Please do let us know if you find other policies which work well and we can add them to the list.

Can you check the details of my policy?

No. We can provide specific information about what activities will be undertaken and in what areas but we can't check individual policy details. It is your own responsibility to arrange an appropriate policy once you have all the relevant information about the course details from us.

Rob Jarvis

Tuesday 28 June 2016 6:37:36 am

Travel Guard is another provider of travel insurance which some of our North American guests have used.

Rob Jarvis

Monday 13 February 2017 6:42:48 pm

Does 'Carre Neige' (the ski insurance you can buy with your lift pass in Chamonix) cover you for ski touring?

No. Only for the lift accessed off piste skiing. Check your policy details thoroughly with regard to your intended activity and make sure you are appropriately covered. Bon ski!