Chamonix Ski Mountaineering
Chamonix is a world mecca as a base for ski mountaineering and this 4 or 2 day course gives you the opportunity to sample a superb variety of challenging mountain ski journeys. By making use of Chamonix's famous high altitude lifts, spectacular glacier routes can be completed as day tours from the valley. We also aim to visit some quieter, less well known parts of the Italian Valle d'Aoste or Swiss Rhone Valley, both easily accessible from Chamonix.
This course includes an overnight stay in a mountain hut in order to access a higher summit or col. It is designed for folk with some existing ski touring experience and a good level of fitness, wanting to do some more technically & physically challenging tours.
- Complete some fine medium to long ski mountain journeys in the Chamonix Valley / Mont Blanc Massif & surrounding area.
- Find great snow & terrain to enjoy some excellent high mountain skiing.
- Use mountaineering equipment efficiently to allow for more technical ski objectives.
- Refresh ski touring skills with some good 'on the go' training.
- Spend a night in a mountain hut thus enabling an early start to complete a longer tour.
- Provide an excellent sound springboard, at the start of the classic hut to hut touring season, for other challenging ski mountaineering trips in the spring.
- Have an enjoyable and sociable week meeting up with other like minded ski mountaineers who you may end up skiing with again in the future.
From our base in the Chamonix valley we use a mixture of both the extensive range of lifts and high mountain roads to access a variety of styles of ski mountaineering terrain. After an initial warm up and training refresher, the focus of the week will be on completing some great mountain ski journeys.
- Pre-Course. As with all our ski courses, we recommend you prepare as much as possible in advance with relevant ‘ski fit’ preparation and then arrive at least a day or two early to both warm up your ski legs & check equipment. This is especially important if you will be renting boots or skis & bindings. Please also make sure your skis are well serviced & bindings correctly adjusted.
- Day 1. Introduction to the week ahead and kit check (see note 1* below). Brief revision of ski mountaineering skills and complete some 'micro-ski-tours' out of one of the Chamonix resorts e.g. various interesting skinning journeys from 'Le Tour'. Opportunities to refresh skinning technique & Kick turns, avalanche emergency procedures and some basic mountaineering elements.
- Day 2. A full day tour with the aim of skiiing a substantial peak like Mont Buet (3096m) in the Agiuilles Rouges or Mont Colmet (3024m) in the Valle d'Aoste.
- Days 3 & 4. Ski journey with overnight stay in a Mountain Hut, see below for various suggestions. The exact itinerary will be arranged close to the time according to weather and snow conditions.
Possible Huts for a 2 day Ski Tour
- Conscrits Hut - superb ski mountaineering on Mont Tondu and the the Domes de Miage etc
- Benevolo Hut - e.g. ascent of the impressive Punta Basei (3338m)
- Grand St. Bernard Monastery - An excellent variety of summits and touring on both the Italian and Swiss sides of the Frontier
- Bonatti Hut. A tour can be completed in the Italian Valle d'Aoste, such as Mont Colmet, followed by an evening skin in to this superb hut which provides a fine base for further touring in the Val Feret on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Massif.
Can always be provided according to snow and weather conditions and if group members have done a specific tour before and would like to try something different. Here are a few further suggestions:
- Pointe Ronde or 'Le Genepi' (2884m) from the Col de la Forclaz
- Cols, Cicle, Chasseurs, Bonnehomme, Tete Nord des Fours plus other variations in the Contamine Valley
- Cols Passon, Midi & Glacier Grand to Trient
- Col de la Terrasse (2648m) in the Perrons chain between France and Switzerland
- 'Trous de la Mouche' (2467m), Massif des Aravis
In addition to the main 5 day course we also run a 3 day mid-week course at the start of the season as a great refresher base for folk going on to do more ski touring later in the season. This can be an enjoyable time to be touring, often with an enjoyable blend of elements from the close of the winter to the arrival of spring.
This course completes one day tour / ski mountaineering training day from a base in Chamonix before setting off on a 2 day expedition with a night in a mountain hut. It has the same objectives as the 5 day course and aims to make the most of 3 action packed days in the mountains.
A collection of galleries giving an insight in to the superb variety of ski touring both in the Chamonix Valley itself and the equally excellent surrounding areas of the Aravis, Italian Val d'Aosta and Swiss Rhone Valley. A ski touring dream!
Fitness Level and Ski Experience Required
A very good level of general & mountain fitness is required to complete some of these longer tours (an ability to comfortably maintain an ascent rate of 300m+ / hr on skins for up to 5 hours). Very effective off-piste skiing is also required. This means the ability to make controlled & accurate linked short radius turns in a variety of steep off-piste snow conditions. Some previous ski touring experience is also required as well as a strong & reliable 'kick-turn'. If you don't have these please check out our introduction to ski mountaineering course first.
14 - 17 March, 4 Day Course
4 days, Monday - Friday Inclusive, 4 / 4 Places Available (Enquiries: 2)
Opportunity to Ski the Gran Paradiso just after the course.
£795 - 4 Day Course
£395 - 2 Day Course
Guide to guest ratio - Maximum 1:4
What’s included in the Price?
- 4 full days ski mountaineering & off-piste skiing with an IFMGA Mountain Guide.
- Travel to course venues.
- Course planning & booking of mountain hut etc.
What’s not included?
- Accommodation. Please see our Chamonix Accommodation Notes
- Flights and transfer / travel to Chamonix
- Ski & touring equipment (Note 1* below). Check the kit list below
- Lift passes (Note 2* below)
- Ski Insurance, see our booking details for more information
- Buses, train fares if required
- Any other expenses
- *Please note that the detailed kit list, given via the link below should be followed and all hire kit including boots, skis, skins, ski crampons, poles, transceiver, shovel, probe should ideally be collected in advance of Day 1, so that a swift start to the course can be made. You can arrange with us in advance to hire shovel, probe & transceiver for a considerably cheaper rate than in the shops.
- Lift passes. As we will ski at the most appropriate venue for the day, depending on the weather and snow, we ask you to leave buying your ski pass until the first morning of the course. We have found that the discounts for buying multiple days are small but the losses if you do not use them are significant. Thus we prefer to retain flexibillity to ski outside the area covered by certain passes.
- Cost of an unlimited day pass in Chamonix is C.60 Euros and any other venues we use will be cheaper than this, down to around 20 euros for a 'forfait rando' or free if we are skinning from the car!
- Please note that we can provide this course for small groups or individuals on a private basis. Please contact us to discuss dates.
More Details & Booking
For more details on our terms & conditions, to fill in a booking form and make a payment, please visit our booking page via
the link below:
We are always delighted to hear from past, current and future clients so whether you have a booking enquiry, want a conditions report, or some mountaineering advice please do get in touch to discuss your plans...
Good climbing & skiing,
High Mountain Guides
Tel: +44 115 888 2994
Skype: High Mountain Guides
Email: Please use the form below
Other Relevant Courses
Folk looking for a more gentle introduction to ski touring should check out both that course and our Chamonix Off-Piste & Mountain Skills, which also contains high quality off-piste coaching from a qualified ski instructor. Those wanting to build on the skills, fitness and acclimatisation gained from this ski mountaineering course can look to our Ski Summits, Ski Gran Paradiso, Ski Mont Blanc and Ski Bernese Oberland trips for further inspiration....
“A ski instruction course designed to improve your technical off-piste skiing, mountain safety awareness and skill, whilst doing lots of good skiing in the process”.
To develop competence and confidence skiing in variable off-piste terrain and to en... more>
Ski touring provides a fantastic way of exploring the backcountry and enjoying some creative ski journeys and adventures away from the resorts. For those with some off piste ski experience and reasonable fitness this action packed 5 day course provides the inspiration & info... more>
As the most famous off-piste ski run in the world, the Vallee Blanche has a lot to live up to...Happily the 18km journey with 2800m of vertical descent through some of the worlds most stunning glaciated alpine scenery rarely dissapoints! Thanks to the huge height gain (2742m) gi... more>
Mont Blanc. The highest mountain in Western Europe and a true challenge for the dedicated ski mountaineer. A magnificent objective for those with the skills to do it. Late spring often provides the best snow conditions for a ski ascent of the mountain and we offer two 6 day cour... more>
Late in the ski season. The valleys have turned to spring and the winter snow pack is stabilising. This is the time for the ski mountaineer to head high in to the mountains. By using the efficiency of ski touring travel with some of the skills of mountaineering we are able to co... more>
An action packed 4 day course designed for ski mountaineers who want to sample a taste of Italy and climb its highest mountain on skis. The ski touring in the famous Italian Valle d'Aoste is as good as the coffee and we aim to give you an excellent introduction to the area with... more>