The fresh snow at the weekend was significant enough to take the avalanche category back up to ‘High’, 4/5 and there was lots of wind transportation of snow in the higher hills and mountains. However in the meadows and side country of Megeve a beautiful new pristine deep coating of light & fluffy snow has been left as a new cnavass for off pisters to express their enjoyment with freshly carved tracks…
Meteo France are now reporting seasonal snow volume as excellent and snow quality too remains superb powder where the fresh snow is sheltered from direct sun, wind and other skiers!
The pistes in the Princess & Mont d’Arbois sector gave superb smooth skiing with excellent conditions right up to the steep and sustained blacks in this part of the Evasion ski area.
Whilst the immediate side country is now pretty well tracked – there are lots of fresh tracks to be had in the forest rides and a little further afield, and that’s still lift accessed terrain. The Chamonix ski touring conditions are good too although best not to go too high and get in to the wind blown zone.
Pretty good ski touring conditions in the Aravis were reported even on pretty low summits like Pointe d’Andey and the Môle. In Chamonix, many teams enjoyed wonderful snow conditions and great off piste conditions at Le Tour and improving conditions in the Vallée Blanche with nice powder in wind sheltered locations and reasonable enough cover to ski down to Chamonix.
It looks like good weather has arrived back in the Mont Blanc Massif for a little while with cool nights & sunny days. The snow should progressively stabilise and folk will head further afield as the avalanche hazard reduces.
Climbing conditions could be good again too with ice building in places and currently there are good options for both valley – hills and high mountain winter climbing. Please get in touch if we can help with guiding or training for that and check out our remaining ski course availability below.
Best wishes & good skiing & climbing, Rob
Our Winter – Spring 2022 Ski Courses – Remaining Availability
The selected courses below are all running and ready for you to join & you can keep an eye on the full programme on our course page here.
- 2 places available on our Chamonix off piste coaching and ski touring classic course 24-27 Jan NOW FULL – Now 2 places again due to cancellations!
- 2 places available on our Chamonix off piste coaching and ski touring 4 day progression course 24-27 Jan
- 1 place available on our Chamonix off piste coaching and ski touring 5 day classic course 21-25 Feb
- 2 places available on our Chamonix off piste coaching and ski touring 4 day progression course 21-24 Feb
- Places available on our Val Feret & Rifugio Bonatti Ski Touring Weekend – 19-20 Feb
- Places available on our Grand St. Bernard Intro Ski Touring Weekend – March 12-13
- Places available on our open group Ski Vallée Blanche descent, March 19
- 2 places available on our Chamonix off piste coaching and ski touring 4 day progression course 21-24 March
- 2 Places available on our West Oberland Ski Touring Weekend –April 9 -10
- Places available on our Chamonix off piste coaching and ski touring 5 day classic course 11-15 April
- 2 Places available on our pretty hard-core Spring Ski Summits course 24-29th April with the option to Ski Mont Blanc with our 3 day extension, after a couple of rest days!
We also have spaces on our intro and intermediate Chamonix ski touring days and weekends.