Equipment required for this course:
- Skis with touring bindings – Please make sure these are correctly fitted for you and your boots by a ski-tech professional. Please also make sure you are familiar with the workings of the bindings as we can not guarantee to know the details of all new bindings and their use. We normally recommend skis for touring which are relatively light and have an underfoot width of around 85-97mm. A good example of this is the Dynastar Mythic 87 Pro.
- Skins to fit your skis
- Ski touring boots
- Shovel, probe and transceiver – we can hire these items to you for good value rates
- Ski crampons
- Ski poles (with larger baskets)
- Goggles and sunglasses (if you normally ski in goggles you will find sunglasses much better for when you are skinning uphill),
- Sun cream
- A rucksack to put it all in – C. 30-40L and the ability to securely attach skis is ideal
- Ski clothing – lots of layers to keep you warm when standing around and but so you can remove them for travelling uphill
- Warm hat & sun hat
- Warm gloves plus a thin dexterous pair of gloves for going uphill
- Water bottle
- Helmet – light ski touring helmet or ski helmet
- Lift pass, cash for cafe breaks
- Passport in the event of skiing in Italy or Switzerland
- Ski insurance certificate and details
- Mobile phone with the Chamonix PGHM (local mountain rescue) number programmed in: +33 (0)4 50 53 16 89
- Harness (only if you have one already, otherwise we will loan you one for any glacier skiing)
The Guide will provide other items like a group shelter, first aid kit, navigation equipment etc and you may be asked to carry some of this during the course. We can also provide crampons and ice-axe if required but these are generally not needed for our intro and intermediate ski touring courses.
Ski touring equipment & boot hire can be arranged directly with Sanglards Ski Shop in Chamonix, Argentiere or Vallorcine.
Please follow our Sanglards Ski Hire link below to access your 15% discount (more in quieter periods), or tell them in the shop you have a booking with High Mountain Guides for the same discount.
Please check out our Chamonix Ski Touring Courses here.