- Skis, Poles, Ski boots (ski touring or downhill boots are suitable for the descent)
- Ski Clothing including base layer top & bottoms, mid layer fleece and wind/water proof jacket and trousers. Plus one spare warm top layer. It can be very cold & windy at the top of the Aiguille du Midi but warm and sunny lower on the glacier so it is essential to have a number of layers so you can regulate according to temperature
- Small Rucksack – around 20 – 35 litres in size. You will be asked to carry an avalanche shovel, handle & probe so you need to have a small / medium rucksack to put these items in plus snacks and drink etc.
- Hat or balaclava, buff or neck gaiter also useful.
- Ski Helmet
- Ski goggles and sunglasses
- Sun Cream & lip salve
- Warm gloves plus ideally bring an extra pair of thinner gloves
- Harness with 2 screwgate Karabiners, cows tail and ice screw – this can all be provided by the guide
- Avalanche Safety Kit – Avalanche transceiver, shovel & probe
- Snacks and drink
- Ski Strap to tie skis and poles together for walking sections e.g. Black Diamond Ski Strap
- Mobile phone with the Chamonix PGHM (local mountain rescue) number programmed in: +33 (0)4 50 53 16 89
- Copy of your insurance documents – see our Insurance FAQ
- Lift pass
- Cash for refreshments (Requin Hut / Montenvers / Buvette etc)
The Guide will also carry the following items:
- Crevasse Rescue Kit
- Crampons & ice axe
- Navigation Equipment (map, compass, gps)
- Spare gloves
- Group Shelter
- First aid kit
Take a read of our useful article on What’s in your Rucksack for Skiing Off-Piste & Day Touring? This also has some packing advice and other top tips!
Ski equipment & boot hire can be arranged directly with Sanglards Ski Shop in Chamonix, Argentiere or Vallorcine.
Please follow our Sanglards Ski Hire link below to access your 15% discount (more in quieter periods), or tell them in the shop you have a booking with High Mountain Guides for the same discount.