Climb Gran Paradiso 🇮🇹 August 2022
August 11 - August 13
The Gran Paradiso (4061m) is the highest mountain entirely within Italy and a constant snowy companion on the southern skyline from the Mont Blanc Massif. Lying in the beautiful Paradiso National Park this is a delightful high mountain area, set above the Italian Val d’Aosta and enjoying a fine southern alpine climate. Early summer is a often a good time to enjoy this ascent, often with good snow cover on the glaciers, less crevassing and a green feel to the beautiful high altitude Valsavarenche from where the pleasant walk to the mountain hut begins in the heart of the super Paradiso National Park.
- Spend an enjoyable 3 days in the high alpine mountains & climb the Gran Paradiso (4061m)
- Complete some quality alpine training & develop your mountaineering, glacier travel & rope work skills
- Visit 2 different parts of the superb Italian Alps with an interesting journey down the Val d’Aosta
- Have a fun & sociable long weekend with like minded people, spending a couple of nights in hospitable mountain huts
- Warm up, train & acclimatise for climbing Mont Blanc Monte Viso or The Weissmies after a rest day, after this course
Course Fitness and Experience Required
Previous mountaineering experience will be useful but not essential for the steady ascent of the Gran Paradiso. Crampons will be worn on summit day but prior instruction will be given in their use. A good level of fitness is required for the 1300m climb on the summit day. The ascent, descent back to the hut and onwards to the valley could take up to 10 hours walking so good stamina and endurance will also be required.