Climb Gran Paradiso 🇮🇹 Mid June 2023
June 14, 2023 - June 16, 2023
The Gran Paradiso (4061m) is the highest mountain entirely within Italy and a constant snowy companion on the southern skyline from the Mont Blanc Massif. Lying in the beautiful Paradiso National Park this is a delightful high mountain area, set above the Italian Val d’Aosta and enjoying a fine southern alpine climate. In early summer, vibrantly coloured wild flowers and jostling Ibex give a spring in the step for the pleasant walk up to the hospitable & lively Italian mountain hut from where the summit climb begins.
This is one of our early season course which often means impressively good snow cover on the glaciers, less crevassing and quieter conditions in the huts and on the summit ridge of the Paradiso. The early season snow can make the ascent tougher however as snow is often encountered below the hut itself and, if there is not a trail on the glacier, breaking a new one can be hard work! However, for the fit and well prepared, the rewards are huge with an wonderful pristine feel to the high mountains and a more adventurous feel to the ascent…
- Spend an enjoyable 3 days in the high alpine mountains & climb the Gran Paradiso (4061m)
- Complete some quality alpine training & develop your mountaineering, glacier travel & rope work skills
- Visit 2 different parts of the superb Italian Alps with an interesting journey down the Val d’Aosta
- Have a fun & sociable long weekend with like minded people, spending a couple of nights in hospitable mountain huts
- Warm up, train & acclimatise for climbing Mont Blanc if you take the option for the 3 day Mont Blanc summit extension
Course Fitness and Experience Required
Previous mountaineering experience will be useful but not essential for the steady ascent of the Gran Paradiso. Crampons will be worn on summit day but prior instruction will be given in their use. A good level of fitness is required for the 1300m climb on the summit day. The ascent, descent back to the hut and onwards to the valley could take up to 10 hours walking so good stamina and endurance will also be required.