- This course has passed.
Climb Monte Viso 2021
August 11, 2021 - August 13, 2021
Monte Viso, ‘The Stone King‘. This magnificent rocky pyramid, dwarfs it’s neighbouring peaks in the Cottian Alps on the Italian French high mountain border. It provides an inspiring & iconic mountain when seen from the Northern Alps and during our approach car journey from the Mont Blanc Massif down the superb Val d’Aosta. The walking approach into the heart of the range starts from Pian del Re, at 2000m and the source of the mighty Po, Italy’s longest river…
Monte Viso provides a physically challenging summit day with a moderately technical but long and sustained scramble, making it very good training for both Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn as well as a major alpine summit climb in it’s own right…
- Spend an enjoyable 3 days in the high alpine mountains & climb Monte Viso, 3841m
- Enjoy a mixture of walking, rocky scrambling and mixed mountaineering terrain and develop your skills, fitness and confidence for future ascents like Mont Blanc or the Matterhorn
- Visit this superb part of the Italian Alps with a geographically interesting journey down the Val d’Aosta
- Have a fun & sociable trip with like minded people, spending a couple of nights in hospitable mountain huts, drink some good Italian café, eat some nice Italian food!
See our dedicated Monte Viso page for the full summary of the action packed 3 day programme for this inspiring Italian alpine mountain adventure featuring some beautiful high mountain walking & sustained scrambling and some more mellow valley rock climbing.
Course Fitness and Experience Required
- Some previous experience mountain walking, scrambling and using crampons is required for this mountaineering course.
- A very good level of fitness & mountain endurance is required for the long summit day with 7-11 hours of sustained climbing and descending so legs and mind should be ‘mountain ready’.
- The easiest route on the mountain has sustained scrambling so you should be happy dealing with some constant exposure and thus have a reasonable ‘head for heights’ as well as the ability to maintain accurate foot placements over a long and tiring day.
There is also the opportunity to mix this course with our 3 day Gran Paradiso programme or other alpine peaks, with a rest day in-between, to create a brilliant week long course, or more!