Climb The Weissmies🇨🇭& Monte Rosa Mountaineer🇮🇹June 2023
June 26, 2023 - July 1, 2023
This is an inspiring and contrasting combination of our brilliant 3 day rocky and mixed scrambling Weissmies course and the remarkable high altitude glacier country of the 3 day Monte Rosa Mountaineer programme. It’s a logical altitude progression and wonderful experience climbing in both the Swiss and Italian high alps from a base in Chamonix.
The ascent of the Weissmies is a classic high alpine route, with enjoyable scrambling among some of the Giants of the Swiss Alps. This 3 day course provides is suitable for climbers with good fitness and some basic mountaineering experience and is a great progression for higher or more technical alpine ascents like the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc.
The Monte Rosa chain forms a magnificent high alpine & glacial massif straddling the Italian & Swiss borders and presents the mountaineer with a superb series of snowy peaks just asking to be climbed
Climb the Weissmies, Featuring…
- Ascents of two fine Swiss alpine peaks including the 4017m Weissmeis & 3363m Mittelrück
- Rocky mountain scrambling in ascent & descent along with a very fine snowy & narrow summit ridge
- 2 nights spent in a lovely Swiss mountain hut. Superb location, hospitable staff, good Swiss mountain food
- Great progression (and acclimatisation) towards climbing other 4000m peaks including Mont Blanc & the Matterhorn
- Meet other like minded climbers for a sociable 3 day trip in the high mountains
Monte Rosa Mountaineer, Featuring…
- 3 day trip deep in to the heart of the Monte Rosa Massif
- 2 nights spent in famous Italian mountain ‘Rifugios’. Superb locations, hospitable staff, great food, cafe & vino. An experience in itself!
- Great progression and acclimatisation towards climbing other big 4000m peaks like Mont Blanc
- Meet other like minded climbers for a sociable week in the mountains
Required Fitness and Experience Levels
Some previous mountaineering experience is required for the traverse of the Weissmies. Those who have never worn crampons before should investigate our Chamonix Alpine Intro and Climb the Gran Paradiso courses or arrange some private guiding & mountaineering training prior to the course.
Both ascents involve some rocky / mixed scrambling and somewhat narrow and exposed summit ridges so folk should have a head for heights, although the actual difficulty level is quite low. Steep snow must be negotiated efficiently in descent which is why some prior experience with crampons is necessary.
A very good level of fitness & stamina is also required for the long walk to the hut (4 hours) and 1100m climb to above 4000m on the summit days (c. 5-8 hours). Some mountain walking experience is also required in order to be able to deal effectively with the rough & rocky terrain encountered en route to the climbs.