- This course has passed.
Grand St Bernard Intro Ski Touring Weekend – March 2020
March 14, 2020 - March 15, 2020
Our intro touring weekends you an action packed, fun and informative insight into the magical world of ski touring. We run 4 separate weekends in January, February, March & April and each course is designed to offer consolidation and progression from the previous one. Doing all 4 weekends would give a great opportunity to learn, practice and develop your ski touring skills & experience whilst doing some inspiring ski journeys in 4 superb different locations around the Western Alps.
In March the spring touring season is underway and this weekend is based at the remarkable Grand St. Bernard Monastery run by the hospitable monks. This gives a great opportunity to explore this classic ski touring area on the Swiss – Italian Alpine border.
Our March weekend increases the physical factor in touring on the Jan and Feb weekends and the first day has nearly 1000m of ascent on skis with another tour on the Sunday before skiing back down to the car. This is a a great opportunity to tour in the beautiful Western Swiss Valais Alps and the fascinating terrain around the Grand St Bernard Pass at nearly 2500m. This is completely away from any resorts or lifts and provides a classic alpine touring weekend.
March Alpine Ski Touring Weekend – Course Aims
- Enjoy 2 days ski touring in the beautiful Swiss Valais Alps around the Grand St. Bernard Monastery
- Do some inspiring touring journeys well away from any resorts here
- Find the best snow possible and do some memorable turns and fresh tracks
- Complete practical introductory training in the essential skills for ski touring – then consolidate and refine these skills on the progression spring weekends
- Spend an enjoyable night in a mountain hut (apart from the Jan weekend) and become more familiar with using hut to prepare for bigger hut to hut tours in future
- Spend a sociable weekend in the mountains and meet other like minded skiers
Each of our intro touring weekends blend a great mix of satisfying ascents on skins, fun & remote off piste skiing and completing some fine journeys whilst undertaking some important training along the way. On our plan A schedule we climb to the Col de Barasson on the first day before making the re-ascent to the Monastery itself. On the Sunday we aim to ski the brilliant local peak of Mont Fourchon, before skiing back via the Monastery and back down to Bourg St. Bernard & return to Chamonix.