Chamonix Matterhorn Training Weekend – Sept 2021
September 18 - September 20
This Chamonix based Matterhorn training course offers the opportunity to blend some middle mountain big boot rock climbing and scrambling with high altitude alpinism over an action packed & inspiring 2 day programme. This course gives a fun experience in it’s own right but is also great training for a future Matterhorn ascent or also works well as part of a warm up, training and acclimatisation programme leading to a summit attempt in the following days…
The idea is to enjoy 2 good alpine routes whilst simultaneously refining the essential movement skills on different types of terrain including scrambling, big boot climbing and mountaineering on rocky, snowy & mixed terrain. Our Plan A schedule features a day trip in the Aiguilles Rouges, just above Chamonix, and very rapidly accessed via the mountain lifts at either Brevent or Flegere. Sample routes would include the Via Corda above Flegere and the Aiguille de l’Index or equally fine scrambling and big boot rock climbing around the Brevent.
On the second day we usually use the brilliant Skyway Monte Bianco lift for rapidly accessing high quality alpine mountaineering routes like the Traverse of the Aiguilles d’Entreves. This route features a high altitude glacier approach, easy scrambling in ascent and descent as well as some short sections of slightly harder big boot style climbing like on the Matterhorn. It’s an AD- climb and a great introduction to high altitude alpine mountaineering for those who already have some good climbing & mountaineering experience and a good level of fitness.
Course Fitness and Experience Pre-Requirements
This course is designed for folk with some existing mountaineering & rock climbing experience who want to do some quality routes with a Mountain Guide. To make the most of this course you should be able to second F5b on rock (c. UK VS) and have some good existing cramponing, abseiling and mountaineering experience.
The planned routes offer quite physical and technical challenges, particularly on both days of the course. Folk preparing for climbing these routes should be able to complete 5-7 hour days of sustained mountaineering. The suggested routes involve some exposed alpine terrain and require a variety of mountaineering skills are required from neat scrambling, solid rock climbing with a pack and reasonable cramponing skills.
2021 Price – £595.00
Maximum Ratio of 1 Guide To 2 Guests.
What’s Included in the Price?
Our courses are priced on a ‘guiding only’ basis which means you pay the exact cost price for all other expenses like hotels, mountain huts and lift passes.
- 2 days mountain guiding with an IFMGA Mountain Guide
- Transport during the course including travel in the Chamonix valley and across to the Italian & Swiss side of the Mt Blanc Massif
- Management of the trip / itinerary and booking of all mountain huts
- Discounted equipment hire prices
What’s not Included & Other Additional Expenses?
- Mountain Lifts: Skyway c.€50. Brevent / Flegere c. €35
- Chamonix accommodation. Prices start from camping at C.10 euros per night, Bunkhouse for C.20 euros per night and hotel accommodation from around 40-50 euros upwards. Please see our Chamonix Accommodation notes.
- Additional snacks, drinks, lunch etc
- Transfers to Chamonix (C. 35 euros for single journey from Geneva Airport)
- Mountaineering equipment. Check the kit list above
- Insurance suitable for alpine mountaineering in Europe
- Any other expenses