- This course has passed.
Mont Blanc Training Day – Chamonix – Mer de Glace – October 2021
October 2, 2021
This is our classic introduction to alpine mountaineering day on the Mer de Glace Glacier above Chamonix. This 1 day course is a great opportunity to learn the basic & fundamental skills of mountaineering including using crampons and ice axe as well as roped glacier travel.
It’s a great compliment to our other Chamonix based Mt Blanc Training & high altitude glacier travel day from Skyway Monte Bianco.
- Have an enjoyable & informative mountaineering training day in the Mont Blanc Massif
- Come away with improved mountaineering movement skills especially using crampons & ice axe & travelling on glaciers
- Enjoy some scenic glacier trekking and try your hand at top roped ice climbing
- Complete some moderate mountain training plus light altitude acclimatisation and develop a better overall idea of what’s involved in the ascent of Mont Blanc
- Gain lots of useful info on mountaineering equipment for Mont Blanc and other mountaineering tips in general
- Prepare for the ascents of Gran Paradiso & Mont Blanc after this course, which is an option if you want to create a longer alpine itinerary
This course works very well for anyone preparing for the Mont Blanc ascent either the following year or the following week as a warm up and acclimatisation! This is also great for any aspiring mountaineers keen to develop their alpine skills and just enjoy a cracking couple of days Chamonix mountaineering whilst meeting some other like minded folk.
Sample Itinerary – Chamonix Intro & Glacier Mountaineering Training
Usually an 0800 welcome to the course in Chamonix with an introduction to the guide and other guests, weather forecast and plan for the day. Final equipment checks & issue hire gear and boots as required.
- 5 min walk to the Montenvers railway station & train journey to Montenvers, 1913m
- Roped descent to the Mer de Glace Glacier with steep ladders / rough walking
- Training in the use of mountaineering equipment like crampons, ice axe, harness & helmet whilst doing a short glacier journey and plenty of crampon mountaineering training.
- Try your hand at top roped ice climbing
- Learn about the skills and equipment required for the ascent of Mont Blanc
- Return to the train station via a roped rocky scramble and train back to Chamonix usually for around 1630
Justine, Mont Blanc Training, August 2020
Thank you once more for the excellent introduction into mountaineering. The first day on the glacier with instructions on specific techniques and continuous concrete advise were much appreciated. Especially loved you letting us try a hand at ice climbing.
This moderately technical days training should really compliment the fitness and endurance training you are able to do on a regular basis from home. We call this ‘bulls eye’ training!
Course Fee: £175
This is a guiding / training fee only and does not include any other expenses like travel, accommodation, insurance or equipment hire plus the following specific expenses:
- Montenvers lift pass, around €35
Course Guide:Guest Ratio is Max 1:4
Course Base Camp – Chamonix
Alpine Mountaineering Equipment List
Course Fitness & Mountain Experience Pre-Requirements
An existing level of good fitness is required for this training day in the mountains. So you will either be a regular mountain walker or have good fitness from other aerobic / endurance sports like running / cycling etc.
No previous mountaineering or rock climbing experience is required although any scrambling experience would be beneficial and you should however be ready for some exposed scrambling both on steep ladders and rock faces and thus have a reasonable ‘head for heights’
Bram, Intro Alpine Mountaineering Course, Albert Premier Refuge, Chamonix
The day trip was all I could ask for as an introduction. The positivity in the team was just lovely + your continuous encouragements only improved the good spirits. Thank you for the amazing couple of days that left me wanting for more. It was a wonderful adventure and you will definitely see me again.