- This course has passed.
Mont Blanc Training Day – Chamonix – Skyway – October 2021
October 23, 2021
This is the 2nd of our classic intro alpine mountaineering days in Chamonix and offers a brilliant opportunity to explore the high altitude glaciers whilst taking in the stunning mountain ambiance on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Massif.
This 1 day course is a great compliment to our other Chamonix ‘Ecole de Glace’ day and focuses on the high altitude glacier travel element of mountaineering as well as some easy ridge scrambling and hopefully a short summit climb up to around 3500m.
- Have an enjoyable & informative mountaineering training day on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Massif
- Enjoy a stunningly scenic roped high altitude glacier trekking journey with crampons, ice axe & trekking pole
- Have a go at some easy rocky or mixed ridge scrambling in ascent and descent (as per the ascent of Mt Blanc)
- Experience the high altitude effects of physical exertion above 3000m and acclimatise a bit along the way
- Develop a better overall idea of what’s involved in the ascent of Mont Blanc
- Gain lots of useful info on mountaineering equipment for Mont Blanc and other mountaineering tips in general
- Enjoy some good Italian 🇮🇹 café!
This course works well for anyone preparing for the Mont Blanc ascent either the following year or the following week as a warm up and acclimatisation! This is also great for any aspiring mountaineers keen to develop their alpine skills and just enjoy a days Chamonix mountaineering whilst meeting some other like minded folk.
Sample Itinerary – Skyway Mountaineering & Glacier Trekking
Usually an 0745 welcome to the course in Chamonix with an introduction to the guide and other guests plus equipment checks & issue hire gear and boots as required. We prefer to get going rapidly over to Italy as the plan is to have a high altitude cappuccino over there whilst having an introduction to the day and taking in the high altitude environment.
- Travel through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Italy and take the superb Skyway Monte Bianco lift to Punta Hellbronner 3462m
- Partial equipment sort in the café before heading out on to the glacier to put on crampons and rope up
- Training in roped glacier travel whilst doing a journey, eg round to the Col d’Entreves, 3527m. This is a great picnic spot with a magnificent views of Val d’Aosta and down the Alpine chain to the Matterhorn.
- Some roped scrambling up and down a rocky or mixed ridge to the easier summit on the Entreves.
- Learn about the skills and equipment required for the ascent of Mont Blanc
- Return to Rifugio Torino and Skyway lift for a drink and head back to Chamonix usually for around 1630
Justine, Mont Blanc Training, August 2020
Thank you once more for the excellent introduction into mountaineering. The first day on the glacier with instructions on specific techniques and continuous concrete advise were much appreciated. Especially loved you letting us try a hand at ice climbing.
This moderately technical days training should really compliment the fitness and endurance training you are able to do on a regular basis from home. We call this ‘bulls eye’ training!
Course Fee: £175
This is a guiding / training fee only and does not include any other expenses like travel, accommodation, insurance or equipment hire plus the following specific expenses:
- Skyway lift pass, around €55
- Any snacks / drinks
Course Guide:Guest Ratio is Max 1:4
Course Base Camp – Chamonix
Alpine Mountaineering Equipment List
Course Fitness & Mountain Experience Pre-Requirements
An existing level of good fitness is required for this training day in the mountains. So you will either be a regular mountain walker or have good fitness from other aerobic / endurance sports like running / cycling etc.
No previous mountaineering or rock climbing experience is required although any scrambling experience would be beneficial and you should however be ready for some exposed scrambling both on steep ladders and rock faces and thus have a reasonable ‘head for heights’
Bram, Intro Alpine Mountaineering Course, Albert Premier Refuge, Chamonix
The day trip was all I could ask for as an introduction. The positivity in the team was just lovely + your continuous encouragements only improved the good spirits. Thank you for the amazing couple of days that left me wanting for more. It was a wonderful adventure and you will definitely see me again.